Mental Health Care Plan – Better Access to Mental Health Initiative
- You will need to make an appointment with your GP to discuss the option of a Mental Health Care Plan under the Better Access to Mental Health Initiative. You may need to book a longer session for the assessment and preparation of a plan.
- There are certain criteria and presenting problems that your GP will assess to determine your eligibility for a Mental Health Care Plan. In addition to the plan the GP should provide a referral to the psychologist at Diverse Minds.
- Alternatively, if a client is under the care of a paediatrician or psychiatrist, your specialist can provide a referral to access psychological services. The referral letter indicating treatment under Better Access (Mental Health Care Plan) must be provided to Diverse Minds.
- A valid Mental Health Care Plan enables a client to attend sessions with a psychologist and then claim a partial Medicare rebate for the cost of this service. A Medicare rebate will be available for a maximum of 10 individual services per calendar year. A copy of the plan and/or a referral requesting treatment under a Mental Health Care Plan must be provided to enable a Medicare rebate to be processed.
- It is important to note a MHCP is issued for an authorised number of sessions (maximum 6 sessions). After the initial 6 sessions, the psychologist will provide a written report back to the referring practitioner. The client must then make an appointment to review the plan with the doctor or specialist before further sessions can take place. If required, a further 4 sessions can then be authorised by the referring practitioner. Parents are eligible for 2 rebated sessions within this plan.
- Group sessions can also be authorised as part of a Mental Health Care Plan. The GP needs to specify group sessions on the plan. Up to 10 group therapy services can also be provided per calendar year (in addition to individual sessions).
Medicare Rebate as at 2023
|MBS Item No. 80110
||50+ Minutes – Registered Psychologist
|MBS Item No. 80010
||50+ Minutes – Clinical Psychologist
|MBS Item No. 80120
||60+ Minutes (6-10 people) – Registered Psychologist
|MBS Item No. 80020
||60+ Minutes (6-10 people) – Clinical Psychologist
Refer: Better Access To Mental Health Care Fact Sheet for Patients: Click Here to View
Please note: Once you have spent a certain amount on medical expenses you have reached the Medicare safety net and Medicare will pay for 80% of your out of pocket expenses.
For further details refer to http://www.health.gov.au/ or call Medicare Australia on 132 011
Chronic Disease Management Plan
Clients with a chronic/complex medical illness may be referred by a GP to a Psychologist for up to 5 sessions per calendar year.
Medicare Rebate as at 2023
MBS Item No. 10968 Rebate: $58.30
For further information contact the Medicare Helpline: 132 150