Autism Spectrum Conditions and the DSM-V
Limitations in social communication and social interaction including:
- Challenges in the to and fro of social-emotional exchanges
- Restricted awareness and integration of non-verbal communication
- Difficulty in initiating, developing and maintaining relationships
At least two areas of restricted, repetitive patterns of behaviour from:
- Stereotyped or repetitive speech
- Excessive dependence upon routine and rituals resulting in excessive resistance to change;
- Intense and restrictive special interests
- Sensory sensitivities
Although symptoms may not be fully developed they are present in early childhood and limit day to day functioning.
Link: DSM-V Autism Spectrum Fact Sheet
American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2013.